F-Coin
Audio Sources
X7II
AMPs
N/A
regtime
2017-6-3
Post time 2017-6-5 08:59:20 |Show all posts |
I've been using an X1 first gen for over a year now and I'm happy with it overall, which is why I decided to make the upgrade to an X5III. After using my new X5III for about a week, I'm sorry to report that other than the sound quality and build quality, I don't have a lot of good things to say about it.

So let’s get straight to it:
1. The FiiO Music app is very buggy. I've had the app crash on me at least twice a day. By crash I mean I get a toast message saying an exception occurred or something like that, and the app just shuts itself down.
2. USB transfer speed is abysmally slow. In my experience, the transfer speed for my X5III is usually around 3MB/s, which is way too low even for USB 2. What perplexes me even more is that X5III's transfer speed is actually a massive downgrade from my X1. My X1's transfer speed is actually pretty decent, usually between 10MB/s to 20MB/s. Why don't I just use a microSD card reader? Please read my next issue.
3. The microSD card trays make removing the cards unnecessarily difficult. Again, this wouldn't be too much of a problem if the USB transfer speed were at least decent. To make matters worse, the iPhone SIM removers do not work with X5III because they are too thick and won't fit. iPhone SIM removers are what everyone has lying around, so I don't know why FiiO didn't make X5III compatible with them.
4. Navigating through my music library is frustrating. I think there are some bizarre UX design choices. For instance, there are 2 ways of sorting folders/albums: 1. Alphabetically by the album name; and 2. Alphabetically by the first letter of the album name. Why would you only sort by the first letter when you can sort by the entire album name? Oh I know why, because for some inconceivable reason, you can only jump through letters if you are using the second sorting option. Oh well…
5. Various other smaller issues that are not deal breakers:
    a. The volume wheel looks nice, but it's IMO harder to use than regular volume buttons in practice.
    b. The play/pause and prev/next buttons are too easy to be hit by mistake when my X5III is in my pocket. I know you can disable those buttons, but I don't really want to since I do need them sometimes.
    c. The wifi signal strength is noticeably lower than high-end smartphones. Again, no big deal, but definitely a negative thing.
    d. The FiiO Market is very unpolished completely unnecessary. Why would anyone use it over Google Play store?
    e. The FiiO Music app is clearly targeting an old version of Android, and it's not using standard Material Design UI elements.

Here's my conclusion. I don't think a lot of the bigger issues I'm having with the X5III can be fixed with firmware patches, which is why I'm returning mine. That said, I'm willing to give FiiO another chance and I'm thinking of getting an X5II because the user experience will probably be more similar to X1, which I am satisfied with. I will be looking forward to the X5 4th generation and I hope it will fix the issues I'm having with the X5III.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Ex-Fiio X5III owner
AMPs
Ex-Fiio A5 owner
Head Gears
Fiio F5
regtime
2017-3-15

Enthusiastic Member Active Member

Post time 2017-6-5 09:46:54 from mobile |Show all posts |
Edited by KopiOkaya at 2017-6-5 09:52

lisq199,

I have tried the X5II prior to the X5III. Other than a less powerful amp section and that classic Fiio look, I must say it is about 70~80% similar in sound quality. The X5III does have a more textured lows and midbass. User interface-wise, the X5II is definitely more responsive.

Alternatively, you can wait for the new X3III which is supposed to be available by this summer. I had the X3II before I upgraded to X5III and I have to say I prefer the former. As for now, I managed to work around the shortfalls of the X5III without major hiccups.

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5III
AMPs
A5
regtime
2017-1-14
Post time 2017-6-5 17:50:31 |Show all posts |
Hello,

Sorry that the X5III could live up to your expectation. Your feedback would be reported to our software team and we will further update our products. Thanks for your support.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2015-11-21
Post time 2017-6-14 06:22:37 |Show all posts |
I have experience with the X3ii, a very nice unit, my X5iii to me is a jewel in looks it has not let me down. I don't try tinkering with the operating systems cause this might screw it up.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Ex-Fiio X5III owner
AMPs
Ex-Fiio A5 owner
Head Gears
Fiio F5
regtime
2017-3-15

Enthusiastic Member Active Member

Post time 2017-6-14 09:09:41 from mobile |Show all posts |
Myfiiox3ii replied at 2017-6-14 06:22
I have experience with the X3ii, a very nice unit, my X5iii to me is a jewel in looks it has not let ...

I had the X3II prior to X5III, and I absolutely love it. Much more responsive and intuitive. Anyway I have already upgraded, so no point turning back.

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5III
AMPs
A5
regtime
2017-1-14
Post time 2017-6-15 15:52:32 |Show all posts |
KopiOkaya replied at 2017-6-14 09:09
I had the X3II prior to X5III, and I absolutely love it. Much more responsive and intuitive. Anywa ...

Android system is much more complicated and we're working on to improve it

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
qwsd
AMPs
dds
regtime
2017-9-22
Post time 2018-1-9 16:26:58 |Show all posts |
Imagine you are camping outdoors at a dark night, without electricity power available, do you miss the light? A LED solar lamp can just cater to your needs and lights up your tent, allowing you to see things clearly. You can have more fun with the lamp. A solar powered LED lamp can also be an important and useful tool when there is an emergency. In addition to outdoor activities, solar LED lamps sometimes are required even at home while you are encountered with interruption of power supply.

https://www.cfone.net

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
flac, m4a, mp3
AMPs
X5III
regtime
2018-1-10
Post time 2018-1-10 04:04:32 |Show all posts |
Edited by linguinee at 2018-1-10 04:06

My initial impression of the X5III (firmware 1.9.9) was similar to that of lisq199.  The frustration started with upgrading firmware: I kept losing my connection to Fiio's servers (nothing wrong with the Wifi connection) and so ended up d/ling the patch to my computer and updating via the 'local' option, after copying updater to the X5's internal memory.

I agree Fiio's proprietary music player is kludgy, not particularly intuitive and prone to crashing -- it quit about half a dozen times while to configuring my library. X5III's software is in disappointing contrast to the excellence of its hardware and if it weren't for recourse to Google Play's App store and substitute players I would have packed up the works and sent it back.

For the time being I've abandoned Fiio's music player and sadly Pure Music Mode along with it (since a Google Play substitute is incompatible) and am relying on Neutron Music Player.

Neutron is feature laden, worthy of an audiophile, and once the convoluted interface is mastered, affords many  paths to your music library and, of course, offers excellent fidelity.

I also suffer slow transfer rates when loading files, about 4 MB/s, and I suspect it's a symptom of the Android OS: my $60 DAP is twice as fast by comparison as both the X5III and my Android phone. And the MicroSD trays!! It took me a while to figure out the cards are inserted from the bottom -- I've never encountered that mode of installation before.

After all the initial aggravation I'm pleased: the X5 is a hefty piece of hardware, build quality is excellent; with Neutron installed navigating my library is easy and stable; and courtesy of Google's 'Play Music' the X5III is capable of streaming.

And most importantly: the music sounds great.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FiiO X5 III
AMPs
FiiO X5 III / K5
DACs
K5
Head Gears
Sennheiser Momentum M2
regtime
2016-1-20
Post time 2018-1-11 06:52:52 |Show all posts |
and here my opinion....i've bought my x5 iii after selling my x5 ii...and you know what?.....i wish i haven't...the android system is old....the fiio pure music app....please don't talk about it...crashes, unlogical etc....the design is perfect, sound quality...if you can use fiio pure music app...it's great...but actually i'm using neutron and poweramp....play everything, no crashes....etc....i don't think, you are going to resolve any problems with updates...maybe some little stuff...but you need a complete new hardware....would be nice to hear, what your next plans are with the firmware updates for the x5 iii....

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2020-3-30 17:44 , Processed in 0.024547 second(s), 23 queries .